Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Good intentions? Not so

*

I am always reading that such-and-such an evil movement has 'good intentions'; or a person will excuse their past behavior with the comment that their intentions were good.

I don't believe it.

Indeed I know that this is untrue. 

*

Good intentions are the rarest of things on this earth.

In fact almost all intentions are corrupt.

*

When I examine my conscience, I perceive that the worst intentions were typically those times where I was trying hardest to signal to myself and to others that my intentions were good, pure, blameless.

That was when I was most deeply in thrall to pride.

*

People talk as if good intentions were the easy bit, and the accomplishment of these intentions was what was difficult, and where things went wrong.

Not so - good intentions are the hard bit.

So hard, in fact, that good intentions are impossible (to the unaided human).

*

Let's hear no more nonsense about 'good intentions'...

*